Anniversary

December 18, 2017

It’s been almost a year since i got the bike. Time flies. Haven’t done much once i got stuck with the stripped thread on the balancer. I ordered the Helicoil kit back in October, got it, but the inserts were too short. So i hunted down a 3x size inserts on Amazon, which were sold from Japan and had to wait a few weeks. Work and wood projects got in the way, but i’m coming back to this pile of metal again.

I have never done Helicoil before, so i decided to practice on a block of wood. The instructions on the package seem to be pretty straightforward: drill the hole with a specific drill bit, tap it and then work the insert into the drilled hole. Worked fine on wood :)

Next, i needed to dissasemble the balancer once again, since you can’t really drill through the assembly. This was a bit tricky because the base of the balancer has a metal dowel. Took some time to remove it, but it worked.

Finally, i managed to drill the hole and install the insert. I must say this whole process was a bit intimidating because i’ve only got one shot at this. Everything went well (i think), so we’ll see if it works out.

January 14, 2018

Lazy sunday. Finally done with the bottom end guts.

Cleaned up the case a bit, there was a bunch of gunk that i’ve missed since the last cleanup.

January 15, 2018

Nothing special today. Just getting rid of old stuck gaskets that i somehow forgot to remove.

Also, i dont know what happened, but i found out the front piece of the lower case got chipped. :(

January 17, 2018

Didn’t do shit.

January 28, 2017

Busy sunday at Motoguild.

Cleaning session continues.

February 3, 2018

Finally finished with the old bottom end gaskets. Onto next chapter.

February 6, 2018

Putting the bottom end back together didn’t happen. Only stopped by at Motoguild for 2 hours, got the transmission setup, cleaned the case (more junk), located and cleaned the case bolts. Also, new oil seals!

February 10, 2018

Busy day today. Finally got the bottom end together.

Rebuilding clutch. New springs, friction plates.

February 11, 2018

Working on the left side today. Cleaned up the starter motor, rebuilt and installed the starter clutch / magneto.

Looking nice and shiny. On the other hand, the starter motor chain looks very loose, might want to replace it. Starter was working alright before i tore down the engine, so im not super concerned about it right now.

February 12, 2018

Installed the contact breaker / timing advancer. Right side is pretty much done, just need to set timing once i finish with the top end. New allen bolts!

February 13, 2018

Nothing special today, just cleaning up the top rocker box and other small stuff. Steady progress though.

February 17, 2018

New oversize pistons and rings are in! Fresh gaskets and seals everywhere. Made a good progress today. Almost done with the top end, just need to set cam timing.

February 18, 2018

Worked on the ignition timing today. All is left to do is to put a new top end gasket and torque everything down.

February 20, 2018

All torqued down and ready to be put in the frame! With one small problem - the exhaust header studs are missing. I guess they were removed by the machinist.

February 26, 2018

Painted the engine mount brackes, did some work on getting the chain tensioner back onto the frame. The tensioner mount threads seem to go bad, so i spent some quality time getting them tapped.

February 27, 2018

Didn’t do much today. Got the new exhaust studs in, aquired the second brake caliper for the rebuild and tried my hand at polishing the sidecovers.

February 28, 2018

Put the cam chain tensioned back on, got the engine ready for the install. Well, that did not go well, freaking thing won’t go in there easily. Removed the exhaust studs to get a bit more clearance. Still no luck. Will have to try again tomorrow or in a few days.

Next: