Reboot

May 17, 2017

It’s been a while since i touched the bike or done anything to it honestly. Been super busy with work, regular stuff. But it’s already half through the May so i’ve got to do something.

My original plan didn’t involve powder coating the frame. Well, since there’s literally nothing left of the frame why not freshen it up a bit? It’s all scratched up and probably still has an original paint.

The tank is all messed up from my previous attempts to strip the paint without any chemicals. Note the small area on the right: that’s the original metal based i’ve finally reached to. I like the metal color, although i would still prefer the gunmetal color palette, which is slightly darker.

Removed the cap and old rusty pins. There was plenty of junk in the petcock filter.

Back to the frame. Everything must go! Swingarm was a bitch to remove. Lots of pb blaster and with an impact wrench everything got off just in time.

Some info on the bike.

Everything is old and greasy.

Frame and tank are dropped off for the powder coat. Cylinder and head are off to get a fixup from the machinist. Hopefully i get start assembling the bike in the following month.

May 25, 2017

Got the frame and tank back, looking good! Powder coating does its magic, never thought 40+ year old frame would look like that.

Brought back everything back to Motoguild. Waiting for reassebly.

July 6, 2017

Been busy with work and stuff, so very little progress over time. But things are moving forward, slowly.

Caliper blasted. There are no rebuild kits available on eBay, so i will just try to clean everything as much as i can.

Brake rotor and caliper painted. I initially wanted to drill holes in the rotor, oh well, maybe next time.

Cylinders and head are finally back from the machinist. 0.5 mm overbore and new valves/springs/seals/etc. It’s time to put this engine back together.

Also, my other bike died on me the other day. Turned out to be a bad battery. Well, i guess a pretty good one, it’s been in the bike since 2011. Fixed and back in business.

July 11, 2017

Got most of the paint off the rear rim off. It looks alright now.

Cleaned and regreased wheel hub.

July 12, 2017

Started to put this thing back together. When i dropped parts for the powder coat i completely forgot to remove one bearing race from the triple tree. It was a total bitch to get off. Also worked on getting new stem bearings installed. Bit of pain to get them seated.

July 18, 2017

Today was a good day, it’s a roller!

July 23, 2017

Put new shocks on. Installed the brake pedal. My progress is pretty slow as i’ve put all the small bits and pieces in bags and completely forgot what goes where.

Discovered a few holes on the bottom of my tank. Shit, this has to be welded. These holes are the aftermath of media blasting.

August 19, 2017

It has been busy past couple of weeks: big move to Logan Square, i also turned 30! This kz400 was “supposed” to be own present, but whatever, it’s going to be done when its done. Anyways, back in the shop, tearing into the last part of the engine i havent touched: the balancer.

I have waited for a while to get in there since the only thing that holds the engine reassemble is the broken cam chain tensioned. Few months back i discovered that the part i had on hand was the wrong one, well i ordered a new one based on the OEM number off the ebay.

Chain tensioned is being held in place by a pin, which was unfortunately stuck. No movement at all. So i had to remove the whole balancer to get to it.

Also checked out the surfaces. Turned out few of the oil passeges were clogged with some gunk.

Got the motherfucker out.

Well, that part i ordered - someone sent me the wrong part. Part number matches on the package, but it does not look anything close to what i have. Bummer.. In the meantime, this is how you store the bolts so you know the exact place they came from.

August 27, 2017

Low end reassembly time. Got to clean the other half of the bottom end. Should have done that long time ago. On the other hand, next time i will just vapor-blast the whole thing, i’ve spent so much time just getting rid of all the gunk.

So far, i went through the whole engine.

Installed a new cam chain tensioned and getting the balancer reassembly figured out.

August 29, 2017

Well, i fucked up. Again. Put new chain tensioned and finally figured out how to reassemble the balancer. Now, i have 2 manuals on hand, original and clymers. While i was torquing down the balancers, one of the bolts snapped. Checked clymers, it had torque spec listed as about half of what’s the orinal has. WTF. Specs for the rest of the bolts are pretty much the same.

Internet suggests helicoil or timesert. I’ve done none of that before. Time to find an engine mechanic to figure this out.

Next: