What Have I Done?

Progressing over bike’s teardown i’ve asked myself a question: what have i done? Will i have the strength to put everything back together? Only time will tell.

Anyways, i got back together with my butt’s best fried - the seat foam. Visually, it was in a pretty rough shape, although i decided that it was good enough to reuse.

Aside from a crack in the left side it was good to go. Put some tape to keep foam in place.

Brand new OEM seat cover works its wonders. Looks good. Took about an hour to get it right.

I decided to go off track and clean up the chain guard. Just because. It’ll be eventually painted gloss black.

Just a pic of where the bike sits right now. Nothing much.

In the meantime i opened up the case. Was harder than i expected since most of the screws were stuck dead. Impact screwdriver to the rescue! To my surprise everything inside was clean. Will be checking clutch plates for the spec later.

I really like how the cover looks. Not going to polish it just yet, gotta learn how to do it properly on some other smaller parts.

Its a boy! With some help got the engine out of the frame. There’s no turning back now.

Lonely warrior (aka roller).

Wait until you see the other side of this disc. I’ll clean and repaint it.

Forks were paintbrushed before. I’ve tried my best cleaning them up but it looks like i’ll have to sodablast those to get into all nooks and crannies. Paint later? Damn, so many things to paint now…

More cleanup: headlight bucket bracket.

Damn you Washington D.C, delayed things a bit!

Getting fork stuff for cleanup. I wish someone told me (manual?) that fucking bearing balls will jump all over the the place as soon as i open the fork stem.

I guess it’s engine time. What’s missing in this picture is the dynamo flywheel. That fucker needed a special tool (aka flywheel puller) that i didn’t have at the time. Ordered ($10 or so) and with some help from Tony and magnificent impact wrench it came right off. Covered in rust and dirt of course.

It was in much worse state. Still, plenty of rust.

They call it elbow grease. Not the yellow-ish thingy, i’m talking about the clean surface.

Opened up the engine. Not bad. Now i know how tach works.

Revisited the idea of drilling holes in the front brake disc. Measure seven times, cut once. I’ll be using a paper template to drill holes. This side of the disc was covered in rust. Turned out fine after cleanup, fresh paint awaits.

Opened up the brake caliper. Brake pads look very scuffed, that explains some minor damange to the disc. Fun part was blowing the piston out of the caliper’s housing. Some compressed air and the loud “POP!” later it was out! Everything is pretty much clean, although i could not come up with a rebuid kit. Caliper wasn’t leaking before, so it’s definitely good news.

I hope all that rust on magneto rotor will go away soon. Could have just kept it as is, but its always good to know how Metal Rescue works. My first try. I’ve got plenty of rusted bolts that could use some cleanup.

Previous owner included an extra clutch with the bike. I don’t remember if its a replacement or an old one. Decided that i can at least learn how it works on a spare before touching my working one. Pretty interesting: its a metal basket with a set of different plates. If you pull the clutch handle, metal rod with a ball on it’s end will push onto cover and make more space between the plates resulting in less friction and disengaging the gears. Then you stop moving.

I decided to take a look at the wiring harness. Like most of other parts on the bike, it was pretty greasy. Cleaned up a bit and discovered that a few wires were cut open, bent. Some burned connectors too. Hopefully i can figure how this whole wire nest works and fix.

Next: